MONTEREY COUNTY — Arts Council for Monterey County in partnership with Urban Word celebrates local youth poets with the opportunity to serve as the Monterey County Youth Poet Laureate.
Youth poets must submit five original poems for adjudication to determine the Youth Poet Laureate, who will serve a one-year term and participate in several engagements throughout the year.
The application deadline is Tuesday, Feb. 28, with the winner announced on Saturday, April 22, 12 p.m. at the Marina Library.
There will be a $1,000 honorarium awarded to the Youth Poet Laureate.
Criteria to be eligible are as follows:
• Currently reside in Monterey County;
• Be between the ages of 13 and 19 years old at time of submission;
• Submit five original poems;
• Complete the application, submit a resume, statement of civic engagement and statement of social justice activities; and
• Be available to serve as Monterey County Youth Poet Laureate for the one-year term, April 2023 to April 2024.
The Youth Poet Laureate acts as an advocate and county ambassador for poetry, social action and the arts. They will champion their own poetic practice while also encouraging their peers to take part in the artform through readings, workshops and by representing the county at events and engagements.
For more information, visit https://arts4mc.org/youth-poet-laureate/.